The Sprawling Magnificence
The town of Berhampur, or Berhampore is an ancient location but first roe into prominence in the year 1757 by the English East India Company and continued as a cantonment until 1870. It also happened to be the scene of the first overt act of the Indian Mutiny of 1857 and is located on the east of the River Bhagirathi, a major tributary of the River Ganges. At present the town is the headquarters of the District of Murshidabad, the former capital city of Bengal. The prime industries of the area include s ilk weaving, rice and oilseed milling, ivory carving, and gold, silver, and brass working. It was constituted as a municipality way back in 1876, during the heyday of the British Empire. Along with, it is the site of a hospital, the Bengal Silk Technological Institute, and several colleges that are affiliated with the University of Calcutta. In addition nearby there is also Kasimbazar, at the present an industrial suburb, which used to be an important town in the 18th century, with a flourishing silk industry. The two major attractions of the town are, a famous type of metal used to make bells called "Khagrai Kansha" is made in the city and also a special type of fried sweets called "Chanabora", which is also very popular.
In general the tourists for a visit in the entire district of Murshidabad take a halt at this very town. During the last census of 2001, it was recorded that Baharampur had a population of 160,168. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. The town of Baharampur has an illustrious literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 53% of the males and 47% of females literate. This success rate has been acclaimed in the regional and national media at best making it as a model which others have to follow in a determined manner.
The town has major rail and road connections being located extensively with the other regions of the State of West Bengal.