Vancouver: Granville Street @night
While Vancouver is in general famous for it`s various outdoor and cultural activities – on top of all Stanley park and numerous art galleries- there is also a multifaceted nightlife that allows especially younger visitors to have fun at night and weekends.
The most popular bars and clubs are located on Granville Street in the heart of Downtown Vancouver. Close to the Skytrainstation „Granville“ (you`ll have to walk one block up, past Sears and you are right in the middle of the parties). Just in case you dislike Hiphop: That`s the kind of music most places play all night long… be prepared that it might take a couple of drinks more to have fun . And, if you are not American/ Canadian and not familiar with the general not-smoking rule in British Columbia: Smoking is allowed till fall in patios, after that the American model will be introduced…. No smoking with 10 feet of the entrance of a building. Another thing for all Europeans: I was born and raised in Germany, and everytime I accompay people going outside for a smoke I take my drink with me- drinking in public- not allowed.
The most popular places are the following:
- Plaza Nightclub (881 Granville Str.): Top 40, mostly Hiphop
- Caprice Nightclub (967 Granville): Top 40, Hiphop
- Buffalo Club (1161 Granville): Top 40, a lot of…. Guess what.., but also some rock
- Cellar (1006 Granville): Mixed 80s, 90s and charts. Fun, if you are a little bit like me: I love the 80s, unfortunately the rest of the crowd going out in Vancouver on a Saturday night loves Hip Hop, made in the United States of America, 2007. Arrrgh.!
- Republic Vancouver (958 Granville Street): Relatively new and chic bar. Pricey, and if you are not keen on waiting in line for a couple of hours you should treat yourself with signing up on the VIP list online! I’ve was caught in a 2,5 hours line-up one nice, wet evening in rainy Vancouver, and I wasn’t impressed. Maybe that’s why the Republic is not one of my favourites…just can’t get over it!!!!
- Commodore Ballroom (868 Granville): A Vancouver classic with good live bands. Worth to look up who is playing and get tics early enough, usually sold out pretty fast.
- Ginger62 (1219 Granville): New, chick, House. Dress code, meaning no hoodies, sneakers, jogging pants and basecaps. Not that I would ever wear that on a Saturday night anyways… can’t hide the European hiding deep inside of me, despite of the fact that I am living on this side of the water- you wouldn’t find me dead in sweatpants!!!!
What I recommend for all these places is to sign up on the VIP list you can find on the homepages of all these places, so you do not have to wait for hours. My worst experience: Republic, 2 hours. And, by the way, the last skytrain… around 1am. So be prepared to look for a cab, which can also take a up to an hour in a busy Saturday night Have fun! [more]
|1. Mahoney’s Irish ub||0.94 mi|
|2. Shaughnessy Village Bed and Breakfast||0.94 mi|
|3. Hazelwood Hotel||0.94 mi|
|4. Century Plaza Hotel & Spa||5.67 mi|
|5. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver||6.25 mi|
|See all Hotels in Vancouver|
|1. Bamboo Village||0.94 mi|
|2. GM Place||0.94 mi|
|3. Vancouver Canucks||0.94 mi|
|See all Attractions in Vancouver|
|1. The Keg||0.94 mi|
|2. Tomato Restaurant||0.94 mi|
|3. Thai Away Home||0.94 mi|
|See all Restaurants in Vancouver|