Old Government Printing Office
With the separation of Queensland from New South Wales in 1859, a state-controlled printery was required to publish Hansard (reports of the proceedings of the House of Parliament) and other official documents. Even postage stamps were produced in the government printery.
The first government printing office was established on this site in 1862. The needs of the government publication soon outgrew this original, modest accommodation and in 1865 a new brick building was constructed nearby. This was soon deemed inadequate and then this printing office was built as a replacement in 1874. It seems the architect or someone wasn’t paying attention to the needs of the printing establishment would have been cheaper to do it right the first time. It served as the printery until 1912, when the new and larger building on George Street was opened. This building is currently the headquarters of the Public Service Club.
This was the home site of the Commandant of the Penal Settlement from here to George Street from 1825 to 1842.
The present building was constructed in 1872 to a design by the government architect, F. D. G. Stanley and is an excellent example of high Victorian Gothic with pointed brickwork and sandstone arches, quoins and dressings.
The government printer vacated the building in 1986 and extensive renovation work was carried out. [more]
|1. Conrad International Hotel||0.00 mi|
|2. Conrad Treasury Casino, Brisbane||0.05 mi|
|3. Park Regis North Quay||0.05 mi|
|4. Macarthur Chambers||0.05 mi|
|See all Hotels in Brisbane|
|1. Brisbane Arcade||0.00 mi|
|2. Former Immigration Depot||0.00 mi|
|3. General Post Office||0.00 mi|
|See all Attractions in Brisbane|